Time to abolish the Senate
Wall-to-wall coverage of the Duffster. No matter what rules you put in place, or reforms you create, or elections you hold, the Senate will still serve as a modern-day rubber stamp to Parliament. You simply can't turn back the clock, or ...
April 9, 2015
New Yorkers find fountain of youth with stickball league in South Florida
Old men play stickball here with bats they have purchased or even made themselves after a trip to Office Depot, and Skybounce balls, which serve as modern Spaldeens, they have found on the Internet. You ask them about the bats, and they talk about ...
March 22, 2015
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Will Be Added to the Library of Congress
In its place, they aired a round-the-clock stream of reactions from home and abroad, including formal tributes, memorial services, and live coverage of the journey of the funeral train bearing the president's body to Washington, D.C. On Saturday, April ...
March 26, 2015
Steve Martin, The Doors and Radiohead Albums Named to National Recording ...
Hill's debut solo record, following the breakup of The Fugees, is a work of honesty in which Hill explores her feelings on topics that included the deep wonder of pregnancy, the pitfalls of modern relationships and the experience of the sacred. The ...
March 25, 2015
When Obama's Diplomacy Takes a Divot
Now his voice for a tolerant, modern and peaceful Islam will be silenced. Malaysia may not When President Obama spoke to the Clinton Global Initiative last year, he said it is “our job to shine a spotlight” on governments that abuse the human ...
February 27, 2015
At the Home of Kinder Modern's Lora Appleton, the Living Is Rambunctious
Ms. Appleton, 38, a founder of the kinder Modern gallery at Broadway near 26th Street, which specializes in vintage and contemporary children's furniture and toys, uses her apartment as a laboratory to test her merchandise for function and durability ...
December 5, 2014
Where the Bodies Are Buried
“The soldiers getting men against the wall, kicking their legs spread-eagle. That's what put the When I visited him last summer, at the bright, modern house that he built in a rural area a short drive from Belfast, he showed me a framed photograph ...
March 9, 2015
It was my first time going to a Communist Caribbean country with no edible chocolate - no edible anything - so compromise was the order of the week. I'll admit, I'm a pampered princess, so the lack of 'modern conveniences' in Cuba, such as toilet paper, Starbucks, and easy access to the Internet, I found a tad tiresome. On the plane going over, Claudia tried to prepare me. She told me they charged you per sheet for the toilet paper in public washrooms. Three sheets per person - 4 if they like you. A lady sits on a chair and doles out the coveted paper. At the airport, one lady was using an empty Pringles tin, filling it with water, and pouring it into the toilets after you left. On the positive side, it was a fabulous rest for all of us - no computer, no proper junk food. Don't get me wrong, there was junk food. it just wasn't fun to eat. It was my first time going to an all-inclusive resort and I realize now I'm not a good candidate. Life centred around eating - eat, rest by the beach or pool. Eat again, play, eat, rest, eat. eat again, play, eat. Waiters were always on hand offering free drinks, food - anything - even a neck massage if you asked nicely. It was clean, efficient, and delivered everything they promised - sea, sand, sunshine, music, and lots of happy smiles.
We have a load of golden plover on the fields behind our home and most mornings I can catch a sight of them from the bathroom at some point during extensive early morning ablutions as they lift as one to another part of the field. The merlin is back and while I have yet to flush it from the ground up the river we have twice chased it for several hundred yards along the lane in front of the car, which was a surprise because we have been without wheels for ten days while our... You don't go at today's modern motor with spanners and a wrench. They must be placed in a white room with subtle lighting, attended by lab coat clad technicians and plugged into a computer which will then ask the car how it feels. Once the therapy has been run through, the detox programme begins in which golden chunks of "auto factor" are pinned to the car's frame as a means of restoring its mood and a bill presented that bears comparison with a week in The Priory that runs... From this you will have gauged the mood, but I must return to the river,. and at this point I would like to highlight this week's announcement that the wealthiest 1% of the world's population have as much money as the remaining 99%, and it is only they who can afford to drive and maintain a car by the boys from Bavaria.